What to expect at an GWA event:
• Experienced whisky drinkers.
• Inexperienced whisky drinkers.
• A respect for the whisky and the desire to study and appreciate it.
• A lively and enjoyable night. Mix whisky and good friends and this will happen.
• A whisky experience far more affordable than a night out drinking at a bar.
• Someone who wants to hear you talk about scotch.
• Someone willing to share knowledge. We love to hear ourselves discuss scotch.
• Mixed company. We have men and women, young and old. Anyone over 21 is welcome to partake, and do.
• Many whisky expressions that are new, rare, or obscure.
• Non-scotch whiskies, especially from distilleries making scotch-like sprits.
What NOT to expect at an GWA event:
• A stodgy tasting where a kilted guru preaches about what you are drinking in a room full of hushed listeners.
• A booze-fest. We may have a good time, but we are not a frat party and our members are expected to behave respectfully.
• Boring whisky.
• Events purely for networking. Yes, we are mostly professionals, and friendships often lead to other things. Our primary focus is sharing whisky.
• A formal lesson for beginners. We explain what we are drinking but we won’t teach you how to drink it, although any member will be happy to help.